2. December 2009 11:50
Most of the team members here on the Marc Austin Highfill Team are parents. We all love our families, but its not always easy to know if we're doing a good job. Helping kids grow up successfully is every parent’s goal, especially with such a bright and amazing future ahead of them. Here are 7 valuable tips we found to help parents prepare their children to reach their fullest potential and enjoy that future:
- Let your child work things out without your help. At an early age, let your child find solutions to challenges he or she may face.
- Support your child’s interests and passions. Praise your child for who he/she is becoming…not what you want them to be.
- Teach your child how to manage money. Teach them about saving (start with piggy banks and savings accounts), allowances, and earning money from doing household jobs.
- Let your child learn how to deal with disappointment. Playing sports and board games teach kids how to handle disappointment.
- Teach your child how to negotiate conflicts. Teach your kids how to negotiate using words and how to resolve conflicts.
- Encourage your child’s dreams. Be supportive of your child’s dreams, but help them set achievable goals along the way.
- Support their independence. Increase your child’s responsibility a little bit each year. It’ll build a strong foundation for their lifetime.